Saturday, October 25, 2008

What a buzz (reaction to class on 10-20-08)

I like giving presentations. In fact, I love it. Given the fact that I work best with pressure (as I've mentioned before) it makes sense that being in front of a group makes everything fall into place with me.

My first presentation went very well, but Dr Smidt gave me some valuable feedback that I took to heart. Stephanie also used the feedback she was given in her previous presentation, and between the two I think we came up with a pretty kick-ass lesson.

Throughout the planning process, Stephanie did a very good job at reminding me that we need to cover ALL of the learning types, not just the ones that I respond to. Keeping that in mind, we designed a very diverse lesson that covered kinaesthetic learners, aural learners, and visual learners. Trying to keep the students active and interested throughout the whole process was a bit of an ongoing challenge, but since we're both flexible teachers, this was not a problem.

After the presentation was over and we had moved to the GLL, we started critiquing the genres of other groups, and we got ours critiqued as well. It was nice getting them reviewed because many of the other groups gave us ideas that we didn't have, and they saw problems that we hadn't caught before. Now that we are aware of those problems, we can fix them and have an even nicer presentation.

2 comments:

durgy84 said...

I thought you gave a great presentation, it was very organized and you speak with such clarity and composure. One thing i did not like about your presentation was the activity. It was not however the activity rather just the topic my group was given. So that is kind of out of your control. Overall great presentation

Mai Nguyen said...

I made comments about your presentation in my entry and in Stephanie's blog, so here i may only need to say one word: GREAT!

I just want to ask you one question: How do you develop such positive attitudes toward public speaking? Is it something that belongs to your nature or did you do a lot of practice in order to stay perfectly at ease when you speak?

I really want to know more about this if you don't mind sharing.