Monday, October 20, 2008

Readings for week nine

I know I say this every week, but HOLY CRAP, IT'S WEEK 9!
I'm not sure if I was just tired this week or if I have a legitimate point, but this week's reading was drier than Sarah Palin's newspaper repertoire... ba-ZING!

As I was reading, a common theme kept recurring to me, one that I plan to touch on in my presentation with Stephanie tonight.


ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN B!

No, I'm not talking about birth control, I'm talking about your lesson plan. What if your students don't like what you're talking about? What if they don't understand what you're talking about?
What if they don't participate and your lesson is contingent on their participation?

This idea was discussed in the reading, and another concept was brought up; one that I hadn't given much thought to before. The differences between macro and micro are pretty big, and if you take one into account but not the other then you'll have a pretty big mess on your hands. As I said before, I had never given those concepts much thought, but now I know I'll have to. One of the biggest fears I have surrounding teaching is my ability and motivation to create lesson plans, and this chapter is definitely helping me.

4 comments:

Stephanie Michaell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Michaell said...

Macro and micro plannig is very important and I like how you said that if the teacher plans one and not the other than he or she will have a big incoherent mess. That is important to think about. Almost as important as your comment on how dry the reading was. I concur!
*I had to re-post this because I noticed a speling error and we all know I can't allow that.

Karina Anirak said...

I think that creating lesson plans becomes easy once you actually start creating them! I remember i was really freaked out at the thought of creating a syllabus for my class! I was completely clueless HOW to do it as I had never done that before. However, when I was doing it for the second time, this semester, I found it much easier. I'm sure, the next time I do it, it'll be a piece of cake;)

Mai Nguyen said...

I like the idea of "having a plan B". I remember reading somewhere: being a teacher is like an actor on the stage. Even though we may know our students better than actors know their audience, neither can guarantee a smooth show all the time. And this is where Plan B comes in handy...