Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reaction to class on 10-6-08

Holy cow, we're already done with week 7. That means I will soon be halfway done with my first semester of grad school. At least 3 more semesters to go. You can do it, Ferguson....

I really enjoyed Rachel's presentation. Sometimes it's fun to introduce an element of competition to the class. As long as that competition stays friendly and doesn't cross any lines, I think it's a good thing that can be used very well to a teacher's advantage.

One thing I really enjoy in class is coming up with a lesson plan. It's a little intimidating to think that I will eventually have to make a lesson plan for every single day that I will be teaching, but again, that's why I'm in school.

Our lesson plan was very thorough, and the lesson plan that we reviewed was also very thorough, at least after we got done picking it apart and changing it for a more advanced group. I'm definitely keeping these created plans to use in the future, because even though they got graded, they will still work in a classroom setting! This is definitely giving me practice for what I will hopefully spend the rest of my life doing.

The other thing I liked about class was the librarian who gave a synopsis of the electronic resources on campus. Like Dr Smidt, I never attended the freshman library orientation, so I was blissfully unaware of the resources at my disposal. The librarian showed us several different places we could look for information, and I intend to use that information to my full advantage.

1 comment:

Mai Nguyen said...

"This is definitely giving me practice for what I will hopefully spend the rest of my life doing." I like the way you look at and put this fact. Both my parents are teachers and i were brought up hearing the word "lesson plan" thousands of times before i really knew what it really is. =)

And you're right, it is not easy at all to think about the fact that as teachers we have to work with lesson plans as long as we're still in the profession. But since "practice makes perfect", i believe easiness will come with time. You'll be happy with making lesson plans before you know it.