Monday, February 23, 2009

That one reading for that one week

I think one of the worst exercises for teaching an l2 is having the students read a pre-written script to each other. I've always known that stronger connections are made if students are made to think in the l2 "on the fly" rather than reading a prescribed piece. As long as it was written in English characters, I could READ anything handed to me. I would probably learn nothing, but I could form the letters together to make noise that sounded like words. I would much rather be placed on the spot to form a conversational phrase than anything else, and I feel that would be much more efective at cementing knowledge than prescribing a script.

3 comments:

Esther Smidt said...

Good point made. However, also consider how a shy/introverted student would fair ... What could we do for a student like that?

MaryT said...

I also can read fairly fluently in both my second languages, but there isn't necessarily comprehension happening.

I hate being put on the spot, however, I know I learn the most that way.

Bekir said...

When I am prepared, I pretty like spotlights. You know all the world is a stage being on the stage on the spot lights is good.