Monday, February 9, 2009

Don't "Hey Smidt" me!

What a discussion. Apparently I'm a strange breed, being a native speaker who corrects without mercy. Most of my friends know that when they're around me, they need to watch their grammar and colloquialisms, since I would rather be taken out behind Morris Hall and beaten senseless with a Brook Trout than be caught using bad grammar.

One other thing I enjoyed discussing was how teachers are addressed in different cultures. Esther made a comment that she doesn't mind being called "Dr Smidt" or "Esther" but being called "Smidt" really gets her blood a'boilin'. The biggest comment which stood out to me from class was her saying "You can call me Esther, but don't 'Hey Smidt ME!' "

I also felt moderately smart because I referenced a conversation that Bekir and I had early last semester about personal boundaries. In Turkey (his home country) it's considered VERY offensive to step back when one enters your personal space. I think I would die in such a context. I like having my space, and I can't bear for casual acquaintances or strangers to enter it.

4 comments:

Stephanie Michaell said...

A brook trout, huh? How about a Northern Pike? They are pretty big!

Jodi said...

Someone I know always used to say "sorta speak" when he meant "so-to-speak". Recently I heard him say it correctly. I would like to credit myself for alway correcting him.

El Chris said...

Are you sure that guy wasn't just a fig newton of your imagination?

MaryT said...

Was there a Mrs Malaprop involved?

And a Northern Pike has really scary teeth, how about a goldfish?