Sunday, September 21, 2008

Reading for week 5

I like lists. There's a website that I frequent which is called Digg that frequently displays "Top Ten" lists (such as this list of the top ten reasons for making top ten lists) and I enjoy them because they provide me with a format that is much easier for me to follow than traditional print. That's why I enjoyed chapter 7 of L&S so much. Even though a lot of content was given, I could follow it much more easily than plain text.

Number 17 on the list caught my eye at the beginning of the semester, and again tonight. I've always know that anything can be taught to anybody, given the proper teacher, and I've often believed this to be true, even if the student doesn't understand the language of instruction. I tested my theory in my Wednesday evening class and even though it's far from a conclusive study, students can learn to use Picasa even when they're instructed in a language they don't understand.

Number 16 also spoke to me. When I was in Madrid, I had a wonderful teacher named Sara (without an H!) who would always correct our grammar as the words left our mouths, giving us a chance to IMMEDIATELY correct ourselves. I loved that she did this, and she taught me a lot about Spanish and also about teaching and proper correction. This also tied in with number 12. Even though some students may feel discouraged when they are constantly corrected, I enjoy it and learn best from it because the context is still fresh in my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Number 16 is what I'm probably obsessed with. I have a lot of international friends, and I often correct their grammar, pronunciation or word choice, which they sometimes hate. But I correct someone only if I can prove that I'm right. It is important to be able to explain to a student, who feels that he is using the right word, but still makes a mistake, why to use this word not that one. This increases the chance that he won't make that mistake anymore.