Sunday, September 21, 2008

Reaction to 9-15 class

I liked the activity we played in class. It gave me a chance to stretch my legs and get my blood flowing, and to meet more people. I didn't know the material as well as I thought I did, but I manged to figure out who my partner was supposed to be, thanks mainly to some generous clues. I also learned a very important lesson from Dr Smidt: Know how much is too much. As an ESL teacher, it will be my job to monitor my class during activities and determine if it's an effective and challenging activity, or if the students are merely becoming frustrated. While I didn't have any problems with what we did, I could definitely see how some students would become frustrated with such a task. I think Dr Smidt taught us all a very important idea that wasn't in the text, and I hope that I can remember to stay vigilant and remember to always observe how my class is feeling.

2 comments:

Esther Smidt said...

Excellent observation, Chris!

Jayne said...

This was a good lesson for me,too.
Not only as a teacher, but also as a student. Sometimes tryong to figure something out becoames less productive that asking for some assistance.