Monday, March 23, 2009

Readings for March 23rd

I've never been able to read as fluently in my L2 as I can in English, and I've always been very envious of those who can. It was always a little bit of a sore-spot seeing my fellow students read and understand fluidly while I struggled to keep up.
Like Thea, I have trouble stopping and deciphering every word. I read in an ESL textbook that it's best to reread as many times as it takes to get the "gist" of the meaning instead of deciphering every word. It's IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with that much input and still figure out what you're reading about.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

This makes me feel a little guilty for all of the reading I assign to my Comp students (1/3 are non-native speakers of English). I always wonder where the line is drawn between their responsibility to be up to college level with their English skill and my responsibility is to make the content I am teaching accessible to non-native speakers.

Bekir said...

Sometimes, you may feel yourself more relax in L2 than in L1. Especially, if you are advance learner.

MaryT said...

I know what you mean. That line is so hard to know when you've crossed. Struggle Struggle...Practice?