Monday, November 17, 2008

Readings for this week, whatever number it is

I lost track of the weeks. So it goes.
Even if it weren't mentioned in the reading, I would still want to mention here what concept I've appreciated the most from this year: The K-W-L concept. It's so simple, and it can do so much for helping a teacher who is trying to determine how his or her students will respond to the topic being taught.

I also like what was presented on Sheltered Instruction. This framework is incredibly useful for anything from building an entire curriculum down to designing a specific lesson.

The other part I enjoyed was the section on group work. As I've said before, group work is not my forté, so it's always interesting to read about why it works and how others are MAKING it work. Within that, the buddy system stood out to me for a few reasons. The first reason is that in Scouting, use of the buddy system is required of all scouts. Second, this helps students play on the strengths of their classmates, and build their own learning goals within themselves.

1 comment:

Mai Nguyen said...

I just followed the link and read about the buddy system, and found it really interesting! The same rules can definitely be applied in teaching and learning as well.

Also, the system reminds me of an activity i was involved in when i was in middle school. Literally translated into English it is called "Friends help friends, Together we make progress", in which a strong student would be coupled with a less competent student and they would meet on certain days each week to study together and help each other. In Vietnam this kind of learning activity is very popular and is favored by many students and teachers alike.